On the same event, Tiffany was also recognized as the recipient of President's Volunteer Service Award (for serving more than 100 hours a year), and as the School Winner for AMC 12 (American Mathematics Competition).
According to Yale Book Award web site, this award is made available through Yale Clubs and Alumni Associations. It is presented to outstanding students at the end of their junior year at public and private secondary schools in the area served by the Club or Association. Ideally, the selection of the students given awards is made by a committee composed of members of the Club or Association and officials of the school concerned. The selection may be left in the hands of the school if the Club or Association authorizes this procedure.
|The award certificate attached to the book|
About Yale Book Award
- Yale Clubs and Alumni Associations make this award available. It is presented to outstanding students at the end of their junior year at public and private secondary schools in the area served by the Club or Association.
- The Club or Association determines the number of awards and schools in which awards are given; schools are selected from among those that send or are capable of sending students to Yale.
- The Club or Association making the award, in consultation with the appropriate school officials, determines the criteria for the award, which should include "outstanding personal character and intellectual promise."
- Ideally, the selection of the students given awards is made by a committee composed of members of the Club or Association and officials of the school concerned. The selection may be left in the hands of the school if the Club or Association authorizes this procedure.
- Once you have chosen the recipient(s) for the Yale Book Award in your area, send us the name(s) and home address(es) of the recipient(s). We will forward this information to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
- Competition for an award is to be within each school, rather than among schools.
- Every effort is made to maintain a high degree of prestige and visibility for the Award in each Club or Association area. Local publicity is recommended.
- The Club or Association, along with the local Alumni Schools Committee(s), closely coordinates the Award in each area.
- A book designated by the Association of Yale Alumni may be used as a symbol of the award, although an appropriate alternate book selected by the Club or Association may be used. A Yale Book Award bookplate is to be affixed to the awarded book in both cases.
About "Rhyme's Reasons"
Winner of the Modern Language Association's Mina P. Shaughnessy Medal for an outstanding research publication in the field of teaching English language and literature (award granted to the earlier edition).
|Rhyme's Reason, a Yale Book Award to Tiffany|
In his classic text, Rhyme’s Reason, the distinguished poet and critic John Hollander surveys the schemes, patterns, and forms of English verse, illustrating each variation with an original and witty self-descriptive example. In this substantially expanded and revised edition, Hollander adds a section of examples taken from centuries of poetry that exhibit the patterns he has described.
“Discussions of prosody usually make for yawns and heavy eyelids, but John Hollander’s book, now usefully augmented, is a sparkling performance. He defines and illustrates the forms and means of English verse in such a way as to teach us, also, the spirit of play which animates even the gravest poem.”—Richard Wilbur
- 2012.04.30 - original post